Hey everyone! This is Matthew Toone and Jordan Brady here at Aspen Ridge Physical Therapy. Today’s topic is going to be a very common low back condition that we see all the time. Many people will get a disc bulge or disc herniation in their low back and it causes a lot of low back pain. Despite how scary it is to know you may have a disc bulge/herniation, the fact is that this is a very treatable condition. It is something we see all the time and can help you with.
What Causes a Disc Bulge/Herniation:
- Bending over and picking up a heavy box with bad body mechanics
- Some trauma or injury to the low back
- A car accident where you get whiplash
- Shoveling snow/dirt and lifting with poor body mechanics or bad posture, and you lift more than you should and twist
- A job that requires repetitive lifting, bending, twisting at the low back
- Driving for long periods in poor seated posture and have significant jolting on the low back
- Being overweight which causes significant strain and load on low back discs
What Are the Signs & Symptoms of a Disc Bulge / Herniation
- Low back pain
- Radiating (or radicular) pain down the leg(s) … feeling of a sharp shooting pain, or numbness / tingling down legs
- Bending forward tends to hurt and radiate pain, while extension or arching back helps relieve pain
- Low back and core weakness
Despite the fact that this condition can be very painful, it is very treatable. When you come in, we can help customize a plan of care specific to your presentation and condition. We will work on helping decrease pain and build core and low back strength. We also provide traction, which is decompression to the spine to help that disc resolve and “go back into place.” We will help educate you about principles like peripheralization and centralization, body mechanics and seated/sleeping posture, and then create a customized exercise plan that is extension based.
Here at Aspen Ridge Physical Therapy, we will help create a personalized treatment plan based on your body, your goals, and your needs. We treat patients in Davis County and Weber county, everywhere from Bountiful to Ogden. Our clinic is located in Layton within the Tanner Clinic. Call us today with any questions or to set up an appointment. You can reach us at 801-773-1350.